« A Blow-out in the Mud-out. A Hawaiian god Returns. | Main | Absolutely No Question of Toughness »

October 26, 2008


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.


Congrats to all who took part in this event no matter what the distance. Just toeing the line and setting out in the conditions was a victory in itself! Much Mahalo to Cheryl, Wah, PJ, John, Rob and all the rest who manned the aid stations, without your support and motivation it would've been harder to continue on. Also much thanks to Gordon, Larry, Marian and the rest for taking us rookies on the 'pre-race tours' of the course during the previous weeks. Oh and John S., think it was muddy enough to say this was an 'official' HURT course!!
Great reviews/comments by Devon, Mike, & Johnny! As Devon mentioned, hypothermia is possible even in Hawai`i...I'll testify to that. Had it once during Hilo2Volcano and was getting there again during the early part of the evening Saturday. Halfway between the three-way intersection and the gateway to Long Road, I was starting to really feel the effects of the rain and wind so I switched over to my long sleeve (that I was saving for the turnaround). That quickly got soaked by the time I got to Long Road! In passing the leaders, everyone was awesome in not only their abilities but the integrity they had in motivating you to keep going and finish! In descending Long Road, I tried running but was too stiff and cold to do so and settled on walking. Fish (pacing Marian) encouraged me to keep going and stay positive.
At the bottom, Cheryl, Rob, Ernest and Heather helped me refuel and got me out without dwelling on thoughts of quitting despite being so cold. Heather was very gracious enough to lend me her jacket..Mahalos! As I went up Long Road, Brenda, Ryan, Johnny, Rex, Devon, and Mike M., echoed each other saying I was doing great. Laura K. called me on my cell and motivated me to keep moving. However after 45 minutes of ascending, I was getting disoriented and feeling lonely. I didn't even recall seeing the 'Two Towers'. Mike M. had mentioned in passing that it was getting pretty hairy at the top with the mist moving in. At the Peacock Flats gate, I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me, even with three lights going! I then decided to just wait for Brenda, Ryan, and Johnny (from the order I saw them in) to come up and finish up with them,figured having the company would be the best thing. Brenda and Ryan came up the road with their lights shining brightly! As we trudged on we were hesitant in where were but were astonished to find that our progress was better than we thought. With about a little over a mile left to the main loop, Rex came flying out of the dark. Stopping to check in with us, he quickly was off and on the move...like he just started running! Amazing!!
We continued moving on through the night, motivated by thoughts of what we were gonna do when we finished. After a few close calls coming down the switchbacks, we exited the fence at the trailhead and engaged in a long congratulatory group hug...we had finished!! Wah met us 200 m from the finish line, offering us congratulatory hugs and sharing in our accomplishment. At the finish, we were cheered by PJ, John, Ernest, and the rest...mahalos for keeping the light on! As we looked up the mountain, we saw Johnny & Devon descending and were excited as we knew they would be down well within the cutoff time! This was the furthest distance the three of us (Brenda, Johnny & I) had ever gone before, making the 100 even more of an event to look forward to!
Mahalos again to the HURT gang for all the support and putting on this event! Everyone was so supportive of each other showing that just finishing events like these is victory in itself!


I will fast forward to the end of Devon's comments and take it from the last aid station down long road on. The farthest I have ever gone was a 40 mile practice run with Rex out on Peacock so by the time I reached the aid station (7pm) I had already gone 40+ miles. The rest of the course distance was new territory for me. And I had to do it in the dark, in the cold, in the rain and mostly by myself. As I was refueling, Rex shows up and got in and out in no time. I soon followed. Only two people were behind me: Devon and Mike M. About two thirds of the way up long road I looked down and saw a headlight. This must have been Devon. Then I looked up and I saw a headlight. I was guessing this was Rex. I was able to catch up with the headlight ahead and it was Rex. I walked with him until we got to Peacock gate, then to the rock pile. Then he pulled away from me. The cross over road was the toughest part for me. It took forever to reach the three way. I could only see a couple of feet in front of me. My main concern was running into pigs. I too saw a couple of centipedes and I did hear rustling in the brush. I saw more rocks along the road that fell from the hillside. Ernest mentioned to me to not hug the hillside too close because of falling rocks but I was using this side as a guide. Fortunately the only time I got a little disoriented was when I made the left turn after the wooden gate before the picnic table. I made three wrong turns but fortunately these turns lead to the very short dirt piles made to maintain the roads. I made it to the table at 10:22p. I had a good 1 1/2 hours to get down the switch back. And right when I past the picnic table, I fell. Not a good sign. I quickly got up and made it down in about 45 minutes. There are a lot of people who helped me achieve this event but the two who helped me the most were Rex and Cheryl. Mahalo nui loa!

Karl Meltzer

Way to go Devon! Sounded like a slopfest to say the least! Congrats to all who love the mud!

The comments to this entry are closed.

Let's Connect

  • Subscribe for Updates
    * indicates required

Want to Post a New Topic on the H.U.R.T. Blog?

Sign up to lead a Saturday Run

Subscribe to Comments