Design by Melanie Decker Koehl
MAUNAWILI OUT & BACK 22-MILE (Solo or 2-Person Relay)
When: Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 7:00 a.m.
Where: Nuuanu-Pali Lookout (map)
What: 22 miles of single-track trail - Solo or 2-person Relay
This is a show-up-and-sign-up race. All runners need to be at the Nuuanu-Pali Lookout by 6:15 to pay the $10 registration and sign a waiver. The start will be staggered, based on age and gender handicaps.
Parking at the Nuuanu-Pali lookout is very limited; carpooling is HIGHLY recommended. You will not be able to park in the parking lot at the top. Please abide by the Parking Czars’ instructions to park on the grass shoulder along either side of the road leading to the lookout. Do NOT occupy a parking stall.
There are no restrooms at the start/finish. Driving from town, there is a park with restrooms on the Pali Highway at the intersection with Paiwa Road. Driving from Windward, there are restrooms at a park by Maunawili School at the corner of Uluhala and Ulupii. Please refrain from using the foliage at the Pali lookout.
The race is an out-and-back on a mostly single-track trail from the Pali lookout to Waimanalo (11 miles each way). The handoff point for relay teams is at the Waimanalo trailhead on Waikupanaha Street. I can provide driving instructions on race morning. Relay teams may hand off car keys at the turn-around aid station.
As with all of the H.U.R.T. runs, this event is all about fun. However, fun does not preclude safety and etiquette. As always, be careful and smart out there. Follow these simple rules and fun is virtually guaranteed:
- The route will be marked with ORANGE ribbon about one mile in on both ends of the course. Do not follow BLUE ribbons - they indicate the WRONG way. BLUE = BAD. The middle will not have any markings.
- Everyone must carry fluids (40 ounces minimum). You will NOT be allowed to start without bottles and/or a hydration pack! Be prepared for hot, humid conditions.
- Stay on the trail and do not short-cut.
- Whenever you stop for a view, to rest, or to yield, move off the trail so others can pass. Yield to horses, mountain-bikers, and take care when passing hikers. When overtaking someone, let them know you are approaching and will be passing on their left only when it is safe.
- Pack It In - Pack It Out. Absolutely no littering.
- If you need to drop out or leave the course, be sure to notify Marian (at the lookout) or Neal (at the turn-around). Do Not Leave without notifying someone in charge – we need to account for everyone who starts on the trail in the morning.
- Be courteous and take care of each other.
There will be awards given to the first five men, first five women, and first five relays to cross the finish line.
There will be plenty of food and drink at the finish. Please plan to stay around to enjoy and swap stories.
NOTE: Nuuanu-Pali Lookout is a State park (http://www.hawaiistateparks.org):
Park rules are designed to help you and others have an enjoyable visit while protecting the cultural and natural resources. This is from the State Parks website:
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES: The use or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
Please do not jeopardize the permit granted to HURT for this race. Mahalo!
Questions? Call Marian (808) 221-5171or email [email protected]