Maunawili Out-n-Back 22-mile and
Relay - some last minute details:
Design by Melanie Decker Koehl
When: Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 7:00 a.m.
Where: Nuuanu-Pali Lookout (map)
Here is a google map of the route in one direction.All registered runners need to be at the Nuuanu-Pali Lookout by 6:30 to get marked with your number – this includes both members of a relay team. The start will be staggered, based on age and gender handicaps.
All runners must carry at least 40 ounces of water as well as some source of calories (gels, bars, sandwiches, whatever). There is no aid in between the start and the turn-around point.
Parking at the Nuuanu-Pali lookout is very limited; carpooling is HIGHLY recommended. You must park off-site – along the roadway leading to the lookout parking lot. You will not be able to park in the parking lot at the top - please abide by the Parking Czars’ instructions. DO NOT occupy a parking stall. There are no restrooms at the start/finish.
EARLY START OPTION – 6:00 a.m. for those who do not wish to compete for a prize:
- You must notify Marian in advance (221-5171)
- You must be at the lookout prior to the 6:00 am start to be body marked
- You must be ready-to-go at 6:00 a.m. (there will be only one early start time)
- You will not be eligible for any award
The race is an out-and-back on a mostly single-track trail from the Pali lookout to Waimanalo (11 miles each way). The handoff point for relay teams is at the Waimanalo trailhead on Waikupanaha Street. Relay teams may hand off car keys at the turn-around aid station. No times will be posted – the finishing order serves as race results.
As with all of the H.U.R.T. runs, this event is all about fun. However, fun does not preclude safety and etiquette. As always, be careful and smart out there. Follow these simple rules and fun is virtually guaranteed:
- The trail will be host to a large number of people on Saturday. Please be patient, courteous, and safe out there. Any aggressive or dangerous behavior will not be tolerated.
- The route will be marked with ORANGE ribbon about one mile in on both ends of the course. Do not follow BLUE ribbons - they indicate the WRONG way. BLUE = BAD.
- Everyone must carry fluids (40 ounces minimum). You will NOT be allowed to start without bottles and/or a hydration pack! Be prepared for hot, humid conditions.
- Stay on the trail and do not short-cut.
- Whenever you stop for a view, to rest, or to yield, move off the trail so others can pass. Yield to horses, mountain-bikers, and take care when passing hikers. When overtaking someone, let them know you are approaching and will be passing on their left only when it is safe.
- Pack It In - Pack It Out. Absolutely no littering.
- Very Important! - If you need to drop out or leave the course, be sure to notify Marian (at the lookout) or Neal (at the turn-around). Do not leave without notifying someone in charge – we need to account for everyone who starts on the trail in the morning.
- Be courteous and take care of each other. HAVE FUN!
There will be plenty of food and drink at the finish. Please plan to stay around to enjoy and swap stories. Bring warm clothing and a chair.