This Saturday, the playground will be the Maunawili Trail, site of the upcoming Maunawili Out and Back (aka - Run With the Pigs). There are many options for start times and locations - do what works for you. There will be a group starting at the Waimanalo end of the trail at 5:30 am, doing the full 22 miles. There will be a smal amount of water stashed at the Pali looukout, but if you plan to do the full distance, please take care of your own refueling needs. Don't forget that it is a long and hot 11 miles each way and good hydration is imperative.
MAUNAWILI OUT AND BACK:
As of this posting, it looks as though there are 13 slots left for the race. If you are interested in running this, don't delay. Ultrasignup.com is handling the registration and there will be no race-day show-up/sign-up and bandits are strongly discouraged. Unofficial runners could jeopardize HURT’s ability to obtain permits for future use of the trail. If you see someone that is not officially entered, please share this information with them.
Design by Melanie Decker Koehl
NEW***Run With The Pigs VISORS are now available - $10 each.
If you have not yet ordered your Run With the Pigs t-shirt or visor, you need to get on that quickly. The deadline for orders is this Friday, July 19 at the end of the day. Order your shirts and visors here: RWTP Shirts
When: Saturday, August 3, 2013 at 7:00 a.m.
Where: Nuuanu-Pali Lookout (map)
What: 22 miles of single-track trail - Solo or 2-person RelayAll registered runners need to be at the Nuuanu-Pali Lookout by 6:30 to get marked with your number – this includes both members of a relay team. The start will be staggered, based on age and gender handicaps.
Parking at the Nuuanu-Pali lookout is very limited; carpooling is HIGHLY recommended. You must park off-site – along the roadway leading to the lookout parking lot. You will not be able to park in the parking lot at the top - please abide by the Parking Czars’ instructions. DO NOT occupy a parking stall.
**If you are able to help out a visiting runner, Brett could sure use a ride to and from the race. He is staying on Ala Moana Boulevard near the shopping center and can be reached via email at brettDOTkettleATgmailDOTcom. Let's show our aussie friends some aloha!**
EARLY START OPTION – 6:00 a.m. for those who do not wish to compete for a prize:
- You must notify Marian in advance (221-5171)
- You must be at the lookout prior to the 6:00 am start to be body marked
- You must be ready-to-go at 6:00 a.m. (there will be only one early start time)
- You will not be eligible for any award
There are no restrooms at the start/finish. Driving from town, there is a park with restrooms on the Pali Highway at the intersection with Paiwa Road. Driving from Windward, there are restrooms at a park by Maunawili School at the corner of Uluhala and Ulupii. Please refrain from using the foliage at the Pali lookout.
The race is an out-and-back on a mostly single-track trail from the Pali lookout to Waimanalo (11 miles each way). The handoff point for relay teams is at the Waimanalo trailhead on Waikupanaha Street. I can provide driving instructions on race morning. Relay teams may hand off car keys at the turn-around aid station.
As with all of the H.U.R.T. runs, this event is all about fun. However, fun does not preclude safety and etiquette. As always, be careful and smart out there. Follow these simple rules and fun is virtually guaranteed:
- The route will be marked with ORANGE ribbon about one mile in on both ends of the course. Do not follow BLUE ribbons - they indicate the WRONG way. BLUE = BAD. The middle will not have any markings.
- Everyone must carry fluids (40 ounces minimum). You will NOT be allowed to start without bottles and/or a hydration pack! Be prepared for hot, humid conditions.
- Stay on the trail and do not short-cut.
- Whenever you stop for a view, to rest, or to yield, move off the trail so others can pass. Yield to horses, mountain-bikers, and take care when passing hikers. When overtaking someone, let them know you are approaching and will be passing on their left only when it is safe.
- Pack It In - Pack It Out. Absolutely no littering.
- Very Important! - If you need to drop out or leave the course, be sure to notify Marian (at the lookout) or Neal (at the turn-around). Do not leave without notifying someone in charge – we need to account for everyone who starts on the trail in the morning.
- Be courteous and take care of each other.
There will be awards given to the first five men, first five women, and first five relays to cross the finish line.
There will be plenty of food and drink at the finish. Please plan to stay around to enjoy and swap stories.
NOTE: Nuuanu-Pali Lookout is a
State park (http://www.hawaiistateparks.org):
Park rules are designed to help you and others have an enjoyable visit while protecting the cultural and natural resources. This is from the State Parks website:
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES: The use or possession of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
Please do not jeopardize the permit granted to HURT for this race. Mahalo!
Questions? Call Marian (808) 221-5171or email [email protected]