The Hawaiian Ultra Running Team (HURT), is putting on the fourteenth annual 100 mile trail race on Jan. 18 and 19th. We start at the Makiki Nature Center on Sat at 6am. The cut-off is Sunday, 6pm.
My husband, John, and I, are organizing the start-finish line aid station, and putting together our team of volunteers again. We will also have a contingent of volunteers from Tripler, thanks to Joel Jenkins.
Basically our volunteers help prepare aid station food- fruit, sandwiches, cookies, soups- and keep levels of the water and Gatorade coolers full. Volunteers also greet the runners as they come in, and cater to their every needs- help them get to their drop bag, fill their water bottles, show them where the food it, cheer them on! etc.
After the 6am start, the runners start coming back into our aid station late Saturday morning, from the first of five 20 mile loops. The route is Nature Center- Paradise Park- Nuuanu Jackass Ginger- Nature Center, via the trails. They run throughout the night, and some right up to 6 pm Sunday.
Half of our runners are from the mainland, Canada, China, & Japan, Iceland, Russia, Chili, Australia, Germany this year. It is inspiring to watch them come in and out of our aid station, and rewarding to help them get through a grueling race.
We are looking to fill the following shifts with about three-four volunteers each shift:
· Sat 10 am to 4 pm lot of food prep and kitchen set up for the duration
· Sat 4 pm to 10pm- the usual runner assistance
· Sat 10 pm to Sun 4 am "
· Sun 4am to 10 am "
· Sun 10 am to 5 pm "
· Sun 5 pm to 7 pm tear-down and clean-up
Other miscellaneous jobs include:
· 1 pm Friday for the Mandatory Runner's Mtg- parking nazi for 2 hours, at entrance to Nature Center
· 4:15 am Saturday, parking Nazi at entrance to Nature Center, until 5:45 am
· 7 am to 10 am- help with aid station set-up (organize runner's drop bags)
· 5:30 am- set up glow lights along beginning of trail for the start
· An aid station volunteer to replace PJ (out on special duty) for about 5 hours, some time middle of the night
· on- call gofers, any time
If you wish to volunteer, please email PJ at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at 351-1453 to I can schedule you in. Many thanks, PJ Salmonson