Congratulations to everyone who finished Run with the Pigs! Tantalus Triple Trek (3T) scheduled for Saturday, Sept 2nd is now gearing up and we are EXCITED! More race and training run announcements to come very shortly.
In the meantime, we would like to offer participants an opportunity to place an order for 3T race apparel. As the lead time for production and shipping is crazy lengthy, the order window will only be open until the end of this week, Sunday, Aug 13th. Orders are expected to ship directly to you on 8/30/17, and shipping can take up to 3 weeks.
Sandi and Jeff
When: Saturday, August 5 at starting at 6:00 a.m.
Where: Koolau Golf Course (see map)
- Parking – Parking will be very tight. Please see Download Parking map showing our designated parking area. If possible, share a ride to minimize the number of parking spaces needed. Only those who are doing the full out-n-back and leaving their vehicle for the entire race can park in the designated area. Relay teams (and those not leaving a vehicle for the duration) should park temporarily in the lower parking lot. There will be Parking Czars to direct you – please follow their guidance and pull into the inner-most parking stall as closely as practical.
- Check-In – ALL runners must check in at the start / finish (that means both relay members). The gate to the golf course should be open by 5:30. There is an outside chance it will be earlier than that, but no guarantees.
- Start – The race will start at 6:00. All runners must be finished by 2:00 pm. If completing the 22 miles in 8 hours is not possible, there is an early start option. However; in order to start early, you must contact Marian (808-221-5171) in advance, carry lights with you, and have familiarity with the course (or be with someone that does). There will be a turn-around cut-off: runners must be out of the turn-around aid station by 10:00 am in order to continue on the course.
- Relays – Both members of the team must be at the start / finish in the morning to check in and be numbered. The second runner should proceed to the turn-around aid station in Waimanalo (see map) on Waikupanaha Street. When your runner arrives, hand off the car keys and the first runner can return to the finish.
- Time cut-offs – Runners must finish in 8 hours and be out of the aid station by 10:00 a.m.
- Golf Course – We have port-a-potties for your use. Do NOT go into the golf course for any reason. Bring your own water to wash up after the run. No alcohol consumption is allowed.
- Fluids – You must carry enough water for 11 HOT miles. Sixty ounces minimum is recommended. You must bring your own electrolytes and calories to endure the distance.
- Trail Etiquette – Yield to hikers, equestrians, and other runners. Do not leave the established trail. The pink ribbons will mark the route at both ends of the course. Blue ribbon means BAD; do not go where there is blue. If you drop out of the run, you must notify a race director (Neal (554-5848 or Marian 221-5171). Take care of each other out there!
- Pau Hana – Please plan to stay and enjoy some food after the run.
Order Run With the Pigs shirts and/or trucker hats here no later than July 23rd at this site.
After placing an order, you will receive an invoice from Paypal. Gear must be picked up on August 5 at the Koolau Golf Course before 2 p.m. unless other arrangements have been made.
Questions? Contact Marian at 808-221-5171.
Saturday, July 22 will be the preview run for the Maunawili Out and Back. The run will start promptly at 6:00 am (same as race-day) at the Koolau Golf Course. You may park in the uppermost parking lot only! The gate typically opens about 10-15 minutes before 6:00 am.
You may choose to go the full out and back distance of 22 miles or go one way only. If you choose to go one way, you will need to arrange your own transportation at the Waimanalo end of the trail. I will stash some water on the Waimanalo end for those planning a round trip. You must carry enough water for a hot 11 miles (recommend 60 ounces each way). Please bring your own calories and electrolytes. See you Saturday!
Mark your calendars!
Registration for the 2018 HURT100 will OPEN July 25, 2017, and CLOSE August 5, 2017.
Lottery selection and party will be held on Saturday, August 12, 2017.
For more HURT100 updates, tune in to the HURT100 website.
Good luck and Aloha!
John and PJ
Here is a link to Brian Clarke's photos, if you decide to down load any and share on your favorite multimedia sites, please give Brian credit for the photos!!
OUTSTANDING Day for a nice run around the Ka'ena Point!!!
Congratulations to all of you for your incredible accomplishment today under some epic conditions!!
I also want to thank John and PJ for allowing Benita and I to have the honor of hosting this great HURT event, Mahalo!!!
These events are all successful because of the hard work and dedication of our volunteer work force!!! Our HURT community is strong and supportive of each other and make these HURT Trail series runs a joy to attend!!
Now I am just going to say thank you to everyone that Benita and I can think of, please forgive us if we omit your name..
Thanks USMC (3rd Radio BN), Jeffery, Freddy, Mike C, Mike, H, Mike, O, Daintry, Yumi, Carina, Linda, Jackie, Marin, Shell, Connie, Sandi, Myra, Ruby, Loren, Gus, Kalani, Liza, Chris, Jess, Tony, Nate, The Wolfe's, Lisa, Jaren, The Florian's, Andy.......
Again, we thank you all for another fantastic event!!!
Arvel and Benita
1 July 2017, 7 AM start time
Ka'ena Point on the North Shore of Oahu
Please park to the left of the main parking area (as we want to share the main area with other park visitors) and take guidance from our parking attendances as needed.
Please show up 15 minutes minimum prior to 7 AM to allow for Check in with John and PJ.
Bring a water bottle to run with (20 oz minimum), festive clothing to run in, sun screen, sun glasses, a hat/visor and any other items that will allow you to traverse this nice flat out and back 10 mile course :)
Always be kind and courteous to each other, our race staff and all volunteers!! Mean people will not be tolerated, and possibly made to run the course again to ensure accurate timing!!!! BE NICE!!!! Please thank your volunteers as you run around this beautiful course.
There will be hand made prizes for the first 5 places for men and women, and Best "Festive" attire prize too!!!
Then hang out with us and share the Aloha and stories of your exciting race around the farthest most point of Oahu!!
Reminder that this is a "Festive" run, so please feel free to wear appropriate clothing to show your enthusiasm for this awesome time of year!! This event is also a pot luck, and you are encouraged to bring a small dish or beverages to share with others.
Arvel and Benita
Firecracker Preview Run, 24 June 0700 Start time!!
Bring water and some fuel (food or other secret stuff), sun screen, hat, sun glasses, running shoes (please wear cloths too, we don't want to scare anyone or the local wild life).
The course runs from the end of the pavement at Mokuleia past Dillingham Airfield and Camp Erdman, to where the pavement begins again on the Waianae coast side at Yokohama Bay
Directions to the Start:
From the North Shore, follow the signs to Waialua/Mokuleia. Follow Farrington Highway past Dillingham Airfield and Camp Erdman. At the end of the paved road, you will come to Kaena Point State Park dirt parking lot on your left, as we need to ensure park visitors have parking to share the park with us, so we will leave them the primary parking on the right.
Hope to see you there, Aloha!!!
Arvel and Benita Shults
1 July 2017
Race starts at 7:00am.
If not attending, please cancel your run in Ultrasignup, this will allow us to put others into the event so that a slot to run is not wasted.
Kaena Point familiarization run
There is another running group (BC Endurance) that is meeting at the Point this weekend 17 June 0730 for a run in the area (not the course). If you have never been there, this would be a great opportunity to see the terrain and just get familiar with the area.There will be course preview runs coming up soon, watch for those postings here soon!!!
This race is a pot luck so bring a dish to share, and the course is fast, flat, out-and-back that is a little longer than 10 miles and parallels the ocean along jeep trails and an old sugar cane railroad line. The course runs from the end of the pavement at Mokuleia past Dillingham Airfield and Camp Erdman, to where the pavement begins again on the Waianae coast side at Yokohama Bay. We will have an aid station with water set up at the turnaround, however, we will require ALL runners to carry adequate water (at least one 20-ounce bottle) during the run. It is a hot course without much shade. Please feel free to be "Holiday Festive" in your attire and bring a local kine dish to share with all.
Directions to the Race Start: From the North Shore, follow the signs to Waialua/Mokuleia. Follow Farrington Highway past Dillingham Airfield and Camp Erdman. At the end of the paved road, you will come to Kaena Point State Park dirt parking lot on your left, as we need to ensure park visitors have parking to share the park with us, so we will leave them the primary parking on the right. There will be parking attendants directing you where to park.
Map Link: https://firstname.lastname@example.org,-158.2372,226m/data=!3m1!1e3
We are still accepting volunteers to assist us with the event.
If you are interested in helping please send an email to Benita and I and we will add you to the list and provide details as they develop!!
Send mail to:
Subject: Firecracker Volunteer
Final instructions to be published soon!!!
Arvel and Benita
The Madness is almost here! This Saturday, meet at Archie Baker Mini Park. It's the triangular-shaped park at the corner of Makiki Street and Makiki Heights Drive. The race starts at 7am, so please give yourself ample time to find parking and check in. Prepare for a hot race. We will have two aid stations (one at the road crossing on Moleka, the other at the road crossing at the bottom of Concrete Hill), but my advice is to CARRY water and snacks. It is a 10+ mile race on the steepest sections of Tantalus. Special surprises at the finish to give you some extra motivation. See everyone soon!
(pictured are some of the Top 10 Women of the 2016 race)
- Melanie (Mad RD)
The 2017 Peacock Challenge 55 Mile Run is now open for registration! There are changes from last year so we urge you to click here and read more about qualifications, race description, course map, cutoffs, etc. before signing up for this race.